Align Technology recently announced the new iTero Workflow 2.0 software release with advanced features that provide enhanced intraoral image sharpness for clearer hard and soft tissue details to aid in treatment diagnosis, whilst also driving practice efficiency, patient engagement, and a more seamless end-to-end digital treatment experience for doctors and their patients.
“Align’s commitment to innovation in digital orthodontics and restorative dentistry reflects our $250 million annual investment in technology to develop products and services that provide doctors and their patients with a great treatment outcome and seamless experience through the Align digital platform,” said Yuval Shaked, Align SVP and MD of the iTero systems and services business. “Our new iTero Workflow 2.0 software features were developed to simplify and streamline a dentist’s daily routine and increase practice efficiency. From a faster, all-in-one scan with enhanced visualization capabilities to improved patient communication, including the ability to capture, annotate and then share Invisalign simulations or restorative treatment plans digitally, these new features provide dental professionals with the ability for better clinical diagnosis and help patients better understand their oral health conditions and the proposed treatment options.”
The newly released iTero Workflow 2.0 software features include:
- Faster scanning: Enables a faster and smoother all-in-one scan for maximum efficiency with 20 per cent less waiting for processing time on the iTero Element Plus Series scanners1 and 50 per cent faster movement and 25 per cent faster rotation during scanning2 for efficient daily use and ease of learning on all iTero Element scanners.
- Improved visualization: The integrated 3D intraoral camera included in the iTero Element 5D Plus imaging system provides enhanced sharpness and improved image quality powered by advanced AI capabilities to deliver clearer soft and hard tissue details to support diagnosis3. In addition, the enhanced capabilities allow clinics to efficiently use intraoral scan images in place of traditional intraoral photos as they can capture multiple intraoral images at different angles automatically with one scan.
- Next level patient communication tools: The new Snapshot tool and iTero Scan Report provide doctors and their staff with the ability to capture information such as Invisalign Outcome Simulator projections and share it digitally with their patients, allowing patients to make more confident decisions – in the dental chair or at home – which may lead to higher treatment acceptance.
“I am already experiencing meaningful difference with the new iTero software features and have seen significantly reduced scan times,” said Olivier Boujenah, a dentist in France who participated in the limited market release. “The intraoral images are much sharper, and my patients are impressed by the details and clarity, which leads them to ask more questions about treatment options. Being able to send digital files with patients when they leave the office through the iTero Scan Report keeps our conversation going even after they are home, and I already see this capability helping with patient acceptance.”
Simplified workflow through new iTero Element 5D auto-upload functionality
The company also announced the launch of a new iTero Element 5D imaging system auto-upload of intraoral photos for Invisalign case submissions. This new functionality eliminates steps and streamlines Invisalign case submissions with intraoral colour scan images that can be used in place of traditional intraoral photos.
The iTero Element 5D imaging system wands are designed with advanced technology, including an intraoral camera, that enables the dentist to scan, capture and auto convert the scan into 2D color photos. This enhanced capability provides dentists the option to automatically populate the five required images in the prescription form in the Invisalign Doctor Site (IDS) with 2D color scan photos. Currently, the Invisalign prescription form requires at least five intraoral photos upon submission, taken with Invisalign Photo Uploader (IPU) or a digital camera. This new auto upload functionality will be available in all markets where the iTero Element 5D imaging systems are sold.
“The iTero Element 5D is a milestone in the development and modernisation of my practice,” said Joanna Vorhauser, an Invisalign dentist from Germany. “The technology does not only impress our team, but also our patients and supports us in our communication with them: Now our patients can see their teeth and oral health from our perspective. The visualisation tools are also great for educational discussions and documentation. With the availability of the 5D auto upload functionality, we can now submit Invisalign case prescription without the need for intraoral photos, which makes the upload to the Invisalign Doctor Site is even faster. These improvements are also much more convenient for patients, and my assistant doesn't have to worry about the quality of the images.”
- Data on file, as of December 22, 2020.
- Compared with previous software versions. Data on file at Align Technology, as of March 29, 2021.
- Only available on iTero Element 5D Plus imaging systems (full and Lite software configurations).
*iTero Element 5D Imaging systems include iTero Element 5D and iTero Element 5D Plus series scanners.